Fritz Syberg was born into poverty in Faaborg
but had the good fortune to train as a house painter and decorative
painter with the artist Peter Hansen's father, Syrak Hansen. Along
with Peter Hansen, Fritz Syberg went to Zahrtmann's School in
Copenhagen. There they met Johannes Larsen, and the three of them
became the central core of the Funish Painters.
Syberg moved, in 1902, with his wife, the
painter Anna Syberg (Peter Hansen's sister) and their children, to
"Pilegården" (Willow Farm) near Kerteminde. The special, close
friendship between the Sybergs and the Larsens must be the main
reason for this move, since the Sybergs now lived only a 1/2 km.
Fritz Syberg found ample motifs in the
surrounding hills and at Fyns Hoved (Funen's Head).
The Sybergs spent the years 1910-1913 in
Italy; the year after their return, Anna died, and Fritz then
married her, and Peter Hansen's, sister, Marie.
At the Johannes Larsen Museum, there is a
large room dedicated to the art of Fritz Syberg.